Skip to main content

Letters from Mom

I was starting a new project today and came across a plastic filing cabinet that was not unpacked.  I had seen it for a while now but didn't really think much of it.  I am not sure what got me to unpack it today.  The first thing I did was cut the wrapping off and on the top of it was a letter.  I didn't think much of it until I saw the handwriting.  It was my moms'.  It was a letter written to me dated May 20, 2002.  I don't remember the letter and have no clue what was going on in my life at that time.  I don't remember the conversation Mom was talking about in the letter. I can say that I am glad I held onto the letter.  To be honest I tend to hold on the all letters written to me. I have a bunch from Mike and Grandma too. I am sure I have more from others as well.  Its funny how you don't think to keep things for later years. I am glad I am sentimental.  So in this letter, Mom tells me she is proud of me.  Right before I left to visit Sarah in New York, Mom was saying how she was proud of me. She didn't know what she did to have me as a daughter. I quickly stopped her, told her that I was doing what anyone would do. That I loved her. No big deal.  I have regretted that since mom died.  I should have let her finish. (I am not one that likes compliments). I should have just let her say what she was wanting to say.  These letters took away that regret.  She has told me she was proud of the person I was becoming. She reminded me to live. Keep embracing this life.  Life is the biggest adventure, embrace it don't just let it pass by. Even in the hard times, the times when regret and sorrow fill the spaces in my heart, I will listen to my mom and embrace life and this adventure.



Comments